By John Porter
The Controlled Vocabulary Working Group has been working on developing a controlled vocabulary for science keywords to be used in LTER datasets. As part of the process, the working group evaluated software for managing controlled vocabularies and higher level structures (polytaxonomys, thesauri and ontologies). …. [go to the article]
These are an example of public and open data for management cultural resources France: Thésaurus pour l’indexation des archives locales publié par les Archives de France.
Developed by the National Archives of Australia, these guidelines provide advice on designing, constructing and maintaining a functions thesaurus to assist with classification and other records management processes in an organisation.
TemaTres 1.3 was released :-), this are the new features and capabilities:
- Database abstraction
With the addition of ADODB5 database abstraction library, TemaTres is more safer and can be used with a variety of database engines (Postgres, Oracle MS server, mysqli, etc). The database type is MySQL by default.
- Importing from SKOS-Core data sources
Now you can import a complete or partial vocabularies encoded according to the SKOS-Core schema (using <skos:Concept> to identify each concept)
- Minor bugs was solved and was added some minor features.
Also has been publisher complet manual of TemaTres in spanish…there are any volunteer to translate it to english?
Since version 1.2 of TemaTres there are two possible models to implement multilngual controlled vocabulary:
- Model based on a one central vocabulary and many target vocabularies
- Federated model
Model with central vocabulary:
This model contains in the same vocabulary the terms from source vocabulary and the equivalence to the terms in target vocabularies. All vocabularies (source and target vocabulary vocabulary) are managed by the same instance of TemaTres.
This option is useful if the target vocabulary does not exist or the terminology services are not available or there are incomplete terminological correspondences.
How to register a target vocabulary:
1) Login as administrator TemaTres.
2) Main Menu -> Administration -> vocabulary configuration -> add reference vocabulary.
3) Fill in the form the descriptive metadata for target vocabulary (may be changed later.)
How to create a terminological relation between controlled vocabularies
1) Find the term in our source vocabulary from which you want to create an terminological relation
2) Go to Options menu (in the term) -> Relations between vocabularies -> target vocabulary.
3) Fill the corresponding term to the target vocabulary.
4) Select the target vocabulary
5) Set the type of terminological (total equivalence, partial equivalence, nonequivalence)
This model allows to establish independent relationships between different vocabularies or languages, whether equivalence relations between languages or other possible relationships between terms and concepts. Each of the vocabularies of destination (target vocabulary) should be able to offer web services according to the TemaTres pattern terminology services. Through these services, the source vocabulary can search terms in the target vocabularies and establish relationships between terms.
This option can be useful for medium and large projects managed by multilingual terminologist team.
Registering a target vocabulary:
1) Login as administrator TemaTres.
2) Main Menu -> Administration -> vocabulary configuration -> add reference vocabulary remote (via web services).
3) Record the following information:
– Key reference: the legend will appear on screen next to each term
– Tag Reference: is a label describing the type of relationship terminology (eg EQ, EQP)
– Language: language code of the vocabulary of reference (target vocabulary)
– URL of web service terminology: URL from which the reference vocabulary TemaTres offers web services terminology. The service must be enabled on the target vocabulary (target vocabulary). EJ: http://www.r020.com.ar/tematres/demo/services.php
How to create a terminological equivalence
1) Find the word in the vocabulary of origin (source vocabulary), bone … our vocabulary, from which you want to create an equivalence relation terminology
2) Go to Options menu (the term) -> Relations between vocabularies -> remote target vocabulary (web services).
3) Select the reference vocabulary (vocabulary target) with which to establish a terminological relationship
4) Search it in the target vocabulary.
5) Select the desired term
With Thesaurus Web Publisher you can publish a thesaurus on the web using your own look and feel, your own web template. You can use data provided by Tematres web services to create one public view for your thesaurus o controlled vocabulary.
Thesaurus Web Publisher is a php tool to publish thesaurus and controlled vocabularies in the web. Thesaurus Web Publisher use the terminological web services provided by TemaTres.
TemaTres is a web tool to manage, publish and exploit controlled vocabularies and other formals representation of knowledge ( thesauri, taxonomies, glossaries, etc) .
To configure Thesaurus Web Publisher, please edit the config file (config.ws.php) and configure the URL for the terminological web services provided by TemaTres. For example:
* URL_BASE must be a TemaTres Web Services provider. Web services must be enabled on your Tematres services provider.
* eg: http://www.r020.com.ar/tematres/services.php
You can try these Tematres web services provider:
- EUROVOC (English) http://www.vocabularyserver.com/eurovoc/en/services.php
- Schools online thesaurus http://vocabularyserver.com/scot/services.php
- TemaTres Sandbox http://www.r020.com.ar/tematres/demo/services.php
To do that you need:
- Text file (in utf-8 encoding) with the list of terms that you want to import.
- The list must contain one term per line
- The directory “/doc” in the your TemaTres instalation directory must have write permissions.
- To express a hierarchical relationship, you must put one tabulated space after each carriage return for each broader term (BT) and her narrower term (NT).
Example for hierarchical relationship:
- To express equivalence between terms, put equal symbol (=) between each prefered term and her non-prefered term.
Example for equivalence:
United States of America = USA
Le Thésaurus européen de la formation recense le vocabulaire contrôlé de référence dans le domaine de l’enseignement et de la formation professionnels (EFP) en Europe. Proyecto Observal España
Políticas Públicas – Distrito Capital – Bogotá